Saturday, September 10, 2011

Midtown Farmers Market

I really think our farmers markets are the perfect spot to offer away-from-home organics (compostables) recycling. So much of what's generated there is compostable, and it's a nice way to expose people to the idea of recycling their food waste and non-recyclable paper. That's why whenever I go to a farmers market, I check out their waste situation. I went to the Midtown Farmers Market for the first time last weekend, and it had a great community vibe and nice selection of produce and prepared food.


I was glad to see a recycling bin prominently placed next to the trash can.

Fireroast Mountain Cafe (delicious tamales) collects their organics (see the compostable bag tied to their booth below), and one of their employees also goes through all the market trash at the end, sorting out the organics to take back to the cafe for composting. A fellow dumpster diver/waste diversion enthusiast!

At the market, I saw J.P., who I met when he was an AmeriCorps VISTA member working with Nellie Stone Johnson school. Here he is at the school media composting event back in May.


And he made this cool pouch! J.P., the Renaissance man. And I thought only TerraCycle made these ...


1 comment:

  1. your work in the world will never be done. but you are making such excellent progress.

    ReplyDelete