Friday, April 23, 2010

A contrast in school composting

The first picture is from Carondolet Catholic School's composting program on its K-2 campus.

I was truly impressed that there was not one bit of non-compostable material in their bins. Those young kids really know their stuff!



Contrast that with Southwest High School's compost bin -- lots of contamination. I'm told the teenagers know better but unless someone is standing by the compost and trash bins, monitoring them, the students just throw all their stuff in whatever bin. Apparently this is a widespread problem among high schools.

I apologize it's kinda hard to see details in these pictures. I'll take better ones next time.



Another Carondolet pic



I like Southwest's signage. Simple and straightforward.



And, really, I'm quite thrilled Southwest even has a composting program, as part of Minneapolis public schools' effort. And they recently switched to those brown paper trays you see in the photos. Before that they were using 2,000 foam trays a WEEK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment