Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lynnhurst Festival goes zero-waste!


I've been blogging a lot about festivals, and you're probably bored with reading about them, so I'll keep this post short and sweet. Tonight was the first time the Lynnhurst Festival has gone zero-waste, and it was extremely successful! Fewer people attended than in previous years, but there were still several hundred people.

Sandra Nussbaum's awesome setup. I didn't have to do a thing!



I loved this! No single-serving butter packets, no single-serving salt packets. Just a tub o' butter and shakers of salt. Brilliant waste reduction.



The tally:
Organics: 136.6 pounds
Bottles and cans and aluminum trays: 5.5 pounds
Trash: 2.7 pounds

Organics


Trash


(FYI: My husband is now calling me the Reverse Santa.)



UPDATE: Here's what the festival organizer said: "Thank you for arranging and doing this very successful no-waste first try. We can certainly continue to do this all the time." Also, "it was a great experience for all, especially all the kids. Such an easy way to reduce all the unnecessary waste we create."

YAY! That was just what I was hoping she'd say once she saw how easy it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment